As the PTA of PS166Q our mission is to support all parents and all teachers in our school to create a positive, cooperative, inclusive, and innovative environment for our children, focused on learning, developing healthful habits, being good citizens and making a difference in our community and in the world. We join with the administration to create a platform for open communication, problem solving and creativity. The PTA is a primary vehicle for parents to get involved in their children’s schools.
How do I join my school’s PTA?
All parents are automatically members of their school’s PTA. There are no pre-qualifications required to participate in a school’s PTA. There is no need to join the PTA. The term “parent” includes the student’s parent or guardian, or any person in a parental or custodial relationship to the student.
What is the role of the PTA?
The PTA helps parents become involved in their children’s education, share ideas, and enrich their school communities.
Some responsibilities include:
- Supporting school activities like Parent-Teacher Conferences, open houses, fun nights, and other social events
- Organizing Enrichment Programs that benefit the entire school body (see list here)
- Conducting outreach to get other parents involved in school life
- Hold fundraising activities to benefit the educational, social, and cultural programs in the school
- Electing parent members to serve on School Leadership Teams and Community Education Councils
Won’t it take a lot of time?
Yes and no, it is a time commitment, but usually only a matter of hours per month.
Some work can be done at home on your own schedule.
- There are one or two PTA board meetings per month.
- It helps to be comfortable with email so everyone can communicate with each other no matter what their schedules are.
- It also can help if you have a flexible daytime schedule but it’s not required.
Don’t I need to have a lot of skills or experience?
All you need is an interest in your child’s school and a willingness to learn and be involved.
- It helps if you use email regularly and are reasonably comfortable with a computer.
- Former board members and volunteers will be able to offer advice.
- Bilingual volunteers are needed!
What’s in it for me?
Here’s your big chance to get involved with your child’s school and make a difference.
- Make friends and new connections.
- Learn new skills.
- Have a greater understanding of the school and PTA issues.
If you don’t want to join the board or a committee, consider volunteering at one of our social or fundraising events and or taking on a leadership role for an event.
We need you! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents Association of PS 166 is tax exempt under section 501©(3) EIN # 45-0576245